The Rocks already strong Scottish core has been further strengthened with the signing of Ali Fraser. Rocks fans will remember Ali from a couple of seasons back, however a season ending injury meant that fans weren’t able to see what qualities he could bring to the team. He is coming off the back of a season at German Pro A team, Erdgas Ehingen where he averaged 10.7 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game.
We caught up with Ali to ask him some all important questions. Here’s what he had to say.
1) What influenced your decision to make a return to the Rocks? Was it the addition of Tony Garbelotto or did you just feel it was the right time for you?
“A combination of the new owner/ coach with the opportunity to study for a masters degree at the same time. An added bonus being that my girlfriend works in Glasgow so it made sense from all angles.”
2) What sort of player would you describe yourself as to those Rocks fans who haven’t had a chance to watch you play?
“I like to run the floor and get out on the break and try to play with a good balance of both inside scoring and outside shooting. Defensively I look to block shots and play solid defense within whatever defensive scheme we are playing.”
3) What are the similarities and differences between the German league you played in and the BBL?
“I don’t have a great deal of experience with the bbl as my last stint with the rocks was cut short due to injury so it’s hard to say what the similarities and differences are between the BBL and Pro A in Germany.”
4) Do you have any personal goals for the upcoming season?
“Just to contribute as much as possible in whatever role is required of me and win as many games as possible. “
5) What will you miss most/least about living in Germany?
“I have made some good friends in the different teams I have been with in Germany and other countries so I will miss that and getting to experience the different food/ cultures. I will not miss having to pack up all of my things and leave home.”
6) Are there any things the BBL Germany do that we don’t you’d like to see implemented here? (Rules/Regulations, Fan Initiatives, Ticketing systems, half time entertainment, anything really.)
“In Germany they have a rule that 2 German players have to be on court at all times which I think is good for youth development.”
7) If you could win one trophy next year with the Rocks, what would your preference be and why?
“Probably the playoff finals as that is at the end of the season and is the last thing people will remember.”
8) What are you most looking forward to in the (hopefully initial) two years, winning the lot in year one or retaining it in year two?
“I don’t want to get ahead of myself but I am looking forward to, hopefully, winning something year one.”
9) What did you miss most about home, excluding the obvious loved ones etc, was there any wee things you took for granted day to day in Scotland that you struggled to get playing abroad?
“Beside the obvious I would say being able to go the cinema whenever I want. In some places abroad I was able to go to the cinema but usually there would only be one or two English showings per week. That and Nando’s.”
10) Which do you think tastes closer to regular Irn Bru; Irn Bru Xtra or Diet Irn Bru?
“Obviously Irn Bru Xtra.”
Thanks to Ali for taking the time to answer our questions!